Precautions When Working With Methanol!


This article covers the precautions that must be taken when working with methanol. Methanol is a colourless water-white fluid and has a slight odour of alcohol. It is used as an anti-freeze, a fuel, a solvent for some plastics, and in full-size aircraft engines, as a means of restoring power under high ambient temperature conditions.

Health Hazards

Needless to say, methanol is a hazardous substance, and should be treated as such.

Methanol is severely poisonous even in amounts of as little as 30 millilitres.

Swallowing or Inhalation

Inhalation or swallowing methanol can result in dizziness, headace, nausea, diarrhoea, hallucinations, partial or total blindness or death.

If swallowed, induce vomiting by administering a drink of 1 tablespoon of salt in warm water, then give two tablespoons of baking soda in water.

Eye Contact

Wash the eye with clean running water for up to 15 minutes.

Skin Contact

Flood the affected area with clean running water for up to 15 minutes.


Store in corrosion resistant containers.

Ignition Risk

At ordinary room temperatures, methanol gives off a vapour which is explosive when mixed with air. Methanol burns invisibly too . .


YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED – treat Methanol with respect . .